What type of personal Information do we collect and Why?
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
Contact details: for example, your name, address, phone number and email address. We use this to update you on your order & fulfil it, send you emails about our new products, fraud prevention and detection, showing you our adverts for Smytype as youbrowse the web and finding out more about what you and other customers like;
Transaction information: Debit & Credit Card details. We use this to take payments, give refunds and for fraud detection and prevention. (don’t worry, we don’t keep your payment details). We use third party payment processors. If you wish to make a payment for our products or services, your payment information may be collected by such third parties but not us. These third parties will be governed by their own privacy policies, the Privacy Act and any other relevant law. You should read their privacy policies before providing your Personal Information to them. We use reasonable steps to ensure that we only use third party payment processors who comply with the above laws, however, we are not responsible for the actions of these third-party payment processors)).
Order history: We use this to perform our contract with you, so you can purchase products from us, so that our customer service team members can provide you with support and assist with returns and refunds and to provide you best possible shopping experience.
How you use our site: Information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider; This is to provide a better shopping experience to you.
Personal identification details such as your date of birth;Additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
my other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
Your communication and marketing preferences: We use this information to make sure we are only sending marketing communications you have consented to receiving;
Your interests, preferences, feedback, competition entries and survey responses: We use this to give you a better shopping experience, for our internal market research purposes and to deliver targeted advertising to you based on those interests; and
Location and other information:Your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
CCTV and your image: in our stores we use CCTV to prevent crime& theft. If you visit our stores your image may be captured.
The Smytype collects Personal Information in the process of conducting its business. Where practical, we will only collect information directly from you. However, Personal Information may also be collected via a contact in your organisation or through a third party who we believe has informed you that your details may be provided to us.
Sensitive Information is a subset of Personal Information and is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation, criminal record, and health, genetic or biometric information. Smytype does not solicit or store Sensitive Information.
How we collect your information:
We collect Personal Information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly and indirectly from you when you visit or use our website;
- Directly from you through our website when you create an account or place an order with us;
- Directly from you when you enter competitions run by us;
- Directly from you when you sign up to our database at events such as tradeshows;
- Directly from you when you contact our customer service centre;
- Directly from you when you apply to become a fundraiser;
- Indirectly from you via any third-party websites or platforms (including social media) through which you access our products and services, or interact with us;
- Directly from you when you apply to work with us for talent/modelling services.
Collection and use ofpersonal Information:
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- We can collect and process your information with your consent and for a specific purpose. For example, when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us. You can always change your mind! All our emails have an unsubscribe option, or just contact us (see below).
- In certain circumstances, we need your personal information to comply with a contract we have with you (or if we’ve asked you to take a particular step before entering into that contract). For example, ordering from us is a contract you have with us.
- Sometimes we’re required by law to collect and process your information. For example, where we pass on details of people involved in fraud or criminal activity to the police (such as anything captured on CCTV); or where we might be required to pass on information about a product recall.
- For internal record keeping and administrative purposes.
- Legitimate interest. This is where processing your data is needed for our legitimate interests or those of a third party, provided those interests aren’t outweighed by yours. Our legitimate interests include improving our service, determining whether marketing campaigns are effective and enabling us to enhance our business.
- To consider your employment application.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties:
We may disclose personal information to:
- Third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors.
- Our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- Our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- Involved in the payments system including financial institutions, merchants and payment organisations;
- Anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- Credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you.
- Courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- Third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of Australia
- Third parties to collect and process data, such as [Google Analytics or other relevant businesses]. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia;
- Involved in providing, managing or administering your product or service such as Third-party suppliers, loyalty and affinity program partners, printers, posting services and call centres;
- Carefully selected third parties who wish to tell you about their products or services that might better serve your online and lifestyle needs, promotions or other opportunities, where you have opted-in to receive these.
By providing us with personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to third parties who reside outside Australia and acknowledge that we are not required to ensure that those third parties comply with Australian privacy laws.
Your rights and controlling your personal information:
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information, we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and Security:
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons:
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page
Our services are not directed or targeted at children under the age of sixteen (16) years. We do not knowingly collect, store or use Personal Information from anyone under the age of sixteen (16) years.
If you become aware that a child under age of sixteen (16) has provided us with personal data without parental consent, please contact us through our Privacy Officer whose contact details are provided below. If we become aware that a child under age of sixteen(16) has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we will attempt to delete this information as soon as possible.
Links to other websites:
For any questions or notices, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
SMYTYPE, ABN 12 997 452 850
Last update: 1December 2018